Savory Baking by Mary Cech Satifies My Salt Tooth


I don't have a sweet tooth. In fact, I've always preferred pickles and chicken pot pies to cupcakes and candy bars.

So when I found Savory Baking: Warm and Inspiring Recipes for Crisp, Crumbly, Flaky Pastries, I was thrilled - finally a book of baked good recipes that I'll actually be able to eat!

Developed by Mary Cech, one of America's top pastry chefs, there are 75 recipes here that will work with whatever event you're planning:
- Quick breads that are actually quick (thank you!) such as Sour Cream and Dill Muffins and Shallot Crepe Rollups Filled with Fresh Carrot-Ginger Salad work as phenomenal brunch items as well as dinner party nibblies.
- For lunch or dinner, Seafood Strudel and Baked Pomodoro Dumplings on an Olive Salad from the Flaked Pastries section really rev up my usually boring workweek menus.
- The Rustic Section is one of my favourites. Comfort food gets a modern twist with dishes such as  Creamy Sweet Corn and Prosciutto Crisp and Chicken Dijon Brown Betty here. Mmm!
- Sesame Eclairs with Honey-Soy Asparagus and Smoked Bacon Beignets from Pastries with Puff are restaurant worthy offerings that will work in your teeny home kitchen too.
- There are also Cookies and The Side Show (condiments, etc.) sections.

And there is a comprehensive section at the front that includes all the tools and tricks you need to know about baking. Something I really appreciate, as I am still such a novice baker.

This cookbook fulfills a niche and need that caters to those of us who prefer pretzels to truffles. With these innovative recipes that fit into my ultra modern lifestyle, it was definitely worth the wait.

gottheknack

No comments:

Instagram

Copyright © the knack | Stephanie Dickison 2019.