Get Back to the Basics with the Fresh & Honest Cookbook

The subtitle of the book is of great importance, I think:

Food from the Farms of New England and the Kitchen of Henrietta's Table.

Written by Chef Peter Davis and Alexandra Hall, with stunning photos by Heath Robbins, this book is a real celebration of fresh and local food and the people who produce them - from the farmers to the chefs.

There is a New England Seasonal Table so you know what to get and when, and helpful notes for what to look for to get the freshest possible ingredients.

I love how rustic and hearty the dishes are. I mean, doesn't your mouth just water when you read Grit Cakes with Mushrooms? Oh my.

Of course seafood is highlighted throughout the book, including Finnan Haddie - a haddock and potatoes dish that looks delightful. But don't worry, meat lovers. They've got you covered too with homemade meatloaf (drool) and Venison Sausage with Smoked Bacon Sauerkraut.

I like that the recipes are simple - who needs complicated when you have fresh ingredients? - and that they are in an insanely big font (with big photos on every other page). It makes it so easy to navigate in the kitchen when you're not having to squint and crouch down in order to make out the next ingredient (oh oh, I'm getting old, aren't I?).

There are a ton of recipes for rubs and vinaigrettes, so you won't get bored making just the one or two and I like that there are recipes for things I'll likely make again and again like Mustard Pickles, Roasted Spicy Apples and hello, Pumpkin Bread.

Though it might seem too basic for you at home chefs, take a good look at it. It's just the thing you need. Fresh and honest ingredients and a chance to really perfect your craft.

I am going to go one by one until I reach the end.

Wanna join me?

gottheknack

No comments:

Instagram

Copyright © the knack | Stephanie Dickison 2019.