Get Ready to Have Your World ROCKED with Retrocity!

There are few things in life that gives you goosebumps and makes you feel extraordinary.

Sure, there is the love of a good person and homemade guacamole, but nothing rocks my world like Retrocity.

They are a seven member a cappella group that sings songs from the 80s. I know. It’s a lot to take in at first. But trust me when I say, they will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

They’ve been around since 1998 and I’ve been going to there shows since then. Unfortunately, they don’t play often enough and I often miss their once-a-year show. It absolutely crushes me when I miss it. One, because their show is so much fun – they dress in 80s clothes and sing songs from my teenage years. But two, the most mind-blowing aspect of these extraordinarily talented folks – Dylan, Jenn, Kevin, Lanie, Suba, Teresa, Tom – is that they sing every part of the song. Every clack, click and do-wah. It is 100 % a cappella and each song sounds just like the original. You won’t believe they aren’t using drums or keyboards.

You will want to catch them in concert, because it will be a night you’ll never forget and you’ll be forever describing it to friends – “They don’t use instruments. No, they sing each part. Sigh…”

But because I couldn’t make it this year (*!#@!!!), the man whom I love and live went and picked up their new CD, Totally A Cappella, to help me through my withdrawl symptoms.

And while I miss seeing the folks in person, I love being able to hear each “Wah” and “Tss” and sing along. I just got the CD last night and already I’ve listened to it in its entirety 5 times. I am not only a fan. I am their biggest fan, a fan for life and if I have to finance them personally to keep them playing for audiences, I will. I am also wondering if a private citizen can nominate them for the Order of Canada. I’m working on it.

I can't say which song is my favourite because they all rock my world. How often can you say that about a CD that you buy?

Look, I’ve been a music critic for over a decade now and have listened to some incredible artists. But never anything that gets to me like watching and hearing Retrocity. They are so incredibly talented and I am not talented enough to describe them aptly. They have to be experienced. And over and over again. Because when they perform alive, they will pick from a host of songs (you can view the partial list at their website and listen to them on myspace), so you may hear Peter Gabriel at one and Prince at another one.

One thing’s for certain though. I may be one of the first people to actually wear out a CD from constant play. And they’re playing again in June and I don’t care what I have planned – I am not missing it for anything.

And neither should you, if you know what’s good for you.

You won’t regret it.

gottheknack

No comments:

Instagram

Copyright © the knack | Stephanie Dickison 2019.