Fashion & Style the Easy Way - Style, Naturally & Life in Colour!

Yesterday I posted about Eve Kinizo's awesome clothes.

Today I thought I'd continue in the fashion theme with 2 books that can help you get your style on. They are a great source of inspiration and ideas.

Style, Naturally: The Savvy Shopping Guide to Sustainable Fashion and Beauty by Summer Rayne Oakes

This is a fantastic gift for the fashionista/recessionista in your life. It is jam-packed with great clothing, shoes, beauty products, handbags, jewelry, etc. finds and picks.

Author Summer Rayne Oakes aims to "show the wide-ranging effects on the environment of what we wear and what we put on our bodies."

This ecologically-savvy tome takes you through all the facets of beauty and fashion. And while there is a ton of text to accompany the lavish photos, it's not at all textbook-y, so it's actually an enjoyable read as well as visually sumptuous.

And though I have been covering small indie labels and under appreciated and undercovered companies for years on this blog, I still managed to find designers and stores I'd never heard of. That's pretty cool.

And I learned a lot of other things, like Nike started looking at ecological solutions for their shoes as far back as 2005 and Freeset Bags are created by women in North Calcutta that were formerly sold or forced into prostitution and now have a chance to live a better life. The book includes not only fantastic jewelers and designers (great profiles on designers!) and products but tips on what you can do to help preserve our planet as well as what beauty ingredients to avoid.

Style, Naturally is a page turner for two reasons:

- you'll learn so much about companies - their products, ethics and values

- you're going to want to shop - A LOT!

This is not only a great source of information for yourself, but it makes a really fantastic gift.

Life in Colour: Visual Therapy's Guide to the Perfect Palette - For Fashion, Beauty & You! By Jesse Garza and Joe Lupo

People who knew me up until just 3 years ago would probably describe me as a blonde in head-to-toe black. It's not until these last few years that I have discovered the joy of colour.

But since I'm still new at it, I wanted some expert opinions on what to wear and what colours to avoid.

I found it all in this book.

I'm a cool moon, by the way. You'll have to read the book to figure out what that means exactly... But I have to say, over the years I've consulted a few colour books and never before have I been able to get a definitive answer on what my "colours" are. This is the first to explicitly call it.

And I think they're right.

It's really an invaluable thing to learn - what colours work for you and what don't, what lines show off your curves or accentuate. This book even covers your makeup and hair!

I love the section on style - is yours classic, chic, whimsical, bohemian or avant-garde? - and the real life examples of people's colours is fun (it's kind of like snooping in public). And there are a lot of unexpected pleasures like "the blue trick," "discover your love colour," and the answer section at the back is surprisingly informative.

It might seem a flighty idea at first glance, but trust me when I tell you that colour can change your life.

And Life in Colour makes it possible!

gottheknack

No comments:

Instagram

Copyright © the knack | Stephanie Dickison 2019.